Wednesday, May 4, 2011

New House New Blog! The DIY begins...

So here I am... a self-taught, Interior Design school educated, frugal like you've never seen, Do-It-Yourselfer, with a brand new house (when I say brand new I mean to myself and my husband)! Being the interior designer that I am I knew I never wanted to live in a brand new, cookie cutter, beige house with zero personality, thus we bought a 39 year old fixer upper. And a fixer upper it is! Let me explain... Being a proud Kijiji addict I was cruising one late night when I stumbled across the house of our dreams. Two storey 15 hundred square feet, south facing yard backing on to a park. What more could we ask for?
Perhaps carpet that was growing who knows what, bathrooms that weren't color coded blue and pink. Yup you read right blue tub and toilet and a pink tub and toilet with matching colored walls! How nice! A hole in the ceiling from a previous blue tub leak, and a roof and yard that well... needed love... and a lot of it! Don't get me wrong, the bones of the house were in amazing shape! No mold, no rot, nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little elbow grease and some serious love! So we bought it! Now here comes the fun part. Over the course of the next months and possibly years we WILL fix this house up so its all shimmery and new! Did I mention that I'm cheap? Well our plan is to do this whole house renovation  on a minimal budget. Scouring garage sales, Kijiji and the discount isle, our house will be brand new from top to bottom, with high end fixtures and add ons but done with a minimal budget. With the help of my contractor husband (see Divide Building Solutions) lots of help from friends and family we will slowly pick away at the projects and I will chronicle them and some of the steps it took us into creating a house into our HOME!! Stayed tuned for our first adventure!

PS. Did I also mention that between flying around the world, renoing the house, and DIY-ing house projects I also dabble in photography??? Well I do! From time to time when I am able to get away and take a shoot I will post pictures, so don't forget to check out that tab!Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment





"Some times I get to places just when God's ready to have someone click the shutter" ~Ansel Adams